This position assists professional land surveyors by operating survey instruments and collecting information in the field and performing computations. This is primarily a field position, but it may involve some related duties in the office.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Work primarily in the field on control, boundary, right-of-way, topographic and construction surveys, as Party Chief of a one, two or three-person field crew in urban and remote areas
May perform some office duties, including data reduction, field note reduction, calculations, data checks and staking computations using Trimble Business Center and Civil3D
Accurately run and adjust survey measuring instruments including level, theodolite, electronic measuring devices, total stations with electronic data collecting capabilities and GPS receivers.
Perform complex mathematical and geometric calculations including closing and adjusting level loops and field traverses and has a comprehensive understanding of atmospheric impact upon instruments
Review and/or take accurate and clear notes, by recording survey measurements, descriptive data and sketches
Perform other duties as assigned
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• High School Diploma or GED required including a background in math, geometry and trigonometry;
• 8+ years’ survey experience, including 4+ years’ experience as Survey Party Chief
• Must be proficient in the use of total stations, GPS Receivers and data collectors, including Trimble
• Must have good working knowledge of MS Word and Excel
• Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of plans and specifications
• Demonstrated knowledge of sources of measurement errors and have thorough knowledge to perform analysis of survey data to ensure completeness, accuracy and precision
• Demonstrated knowledge of monumentation, construction staking and field markings; must have comprehensive knowledge of boundary evidence search for GLO corners and accessories, property corners and other lines of public and private ownership.
• Demonstrated abilities of the following: complex problem solving, listening, reading comprehension, learning, time management, critical thinking, speaking, equipment selection, judgment and decision making, problem solving, and demonstrates “best practices”
techniques and a willingness to learn.
• Ability to download field data collector into an AutoCAD drawing file and provide thorough review and edits of codes and line work
• Must be experienced in controlling the function of surveying instruments and calculators
• Must be physically able to work long hours and carry heavy loads
• Possess good interpersonal skills, and effective written and oral communication skills
• Must be able and willing to travel up to 100% of the time
• Attendance, punctuality and reliability are essential requirements
• Must be able to work in inclement weather
• Valid Driver’s License and ability to meet company insurability guidelines required
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, dealing effectively and reasonably with stress in the workplace without lost time or undue strain.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, walk and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Employee may be asked to walk on uneven surfaces, lift and carry up to 50 pounds, hike up and down steep slopes carrying up to 50 pounds of survey equipment, bend, squat, dig monument holes, pound in stakes and rebar monuments, carry and use Pionjar breaker/drill
weighing up to 70 pounds, use brush cutting equipment, drive a four-wheeler or snowmobile, climb stairs, sit for extended periods of time, work at a computer terminal for extended periods of time, type/key-in data, and answer telephones frequently as needed.
The employee will be required to adhere to the company’s policies, safety plan and the project safety plan.
Associate Degree from an approved Surveying Curriculum or related program desirable
We are an equal opportunity employer and we abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
PAY SECRECY: Executive Order 11246, as amended, protects applicants and employees from discrimination based on inquiring about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.