GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
This position assists land surveyors by operating survey instruments, collecting information in the field, performing computations and maintaining cooperative relationships with those contacted during the course of work activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Accurately operate, adjust and maintain survey measuring instruments including level, GPS equipment and total stations with electronic data collecting capabilities for field to finish operations
- Provide first draft review and edits after processing by the office survey technician.
- Perform mathematical and geometric calculations including closing and adjusting level loops and field traverses and has an understanding of atmospheric impacts on measurements
- Take accurate, complete and clear notes. Note reduction by recording survey measurements, descriptive data, drawings and sketches
- Assist the Crew Chief by demonstrating logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Assist the party chief with the ability to consider relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose what is most appropriate.
- Assist the party chief in conducting tests and inspections of products, services or processes to evaluate quality and/or performance.
- Daily administration duties including, but not limited to, downloading field notes and daily reports
- Maintain equipment and vehicles used by survey crews
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- A high school education or equivalent is required including a background in math, geometry and trigonometry; an Associate degree in surveying and mapping is preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years survey experience is required; a related degree in surveying and mapping may be substituted for a portion of practical experience.
- Must be experienced in controlling the function of surveying instruments and field calculators.
- Must have knowledge of boundary evidence search for GLO corners and accessories, property corners and other lines of public and private ownership
- A working knowledge of AutoCAD, Word and Excel is desired.
- Must be able to read and understand plans and specifications
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic sources of measurement errors and must have knowledge to perform analysis of survey data to ensure completeness, accuracy and precision
- Demonstrated knowledge of principals of construction staking and field markings for roads, bridges, buildings and infrastructure
- Possess good interpersonal skills, and effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to determine the right tools and equipment to perform the job effectively.
- Ability to determining causes of operation errors and assist the party chief
- Ability to download field data into the project downloads directory on the company network drive.
- Must be able and willing to travel.
- Attendance, punctuality and reliability are essential requirements.
- Must be able to work in inclement weather.
- Must have a current NM Driver’s License; must be able to meet company insurability guidelines.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job while dealing effectively and reasonably with stress in the workplace without lost
time or undue strain. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Employee may be asked to walk on uneven surfaces, carry equipment up and down steep mountain terrain, bend, squat, climb stairs
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time, work at a computer terminal for extended periods of time, key, answer telephones,
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds frequently as needed.
- Perform manual labor such as clearing brush for line, carrying stakes, rebar and other heavy items as required to conduct field surveys.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster.
PAY SECRECY: Executive Order 11246, as amended, protects applicants and employees from discrimination based on inquiring about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.